“Women are more likely to be attracted to personality and men are more likely to be attracted to physical appearance”
woah maybe that’s because we teach women to see men as people and we teach men to see women as objects
Things that I find gross and sexist about marriage
- When the dude asks team brides father for her hand in marriage
- When the father gives the bride away
- When the bride is supposed to take the husband’s last name
Also a bonus points for things I find gross and sexist about proposals
- When a guy tries to pressure his partner into saying yes by proposing very publicly and then she is vilified and he receives sympathy if she says no
So the fact that the entire wedding is focused on the bride isn’t sexist to you?
The fact that she walks down the aisle and everyone has to stand up and face her as she comes in while the groom stood up there and nobody cared about him isn’t sexist?
So the fact that the guests discuss her dress and how beautiful she looks whilst not caring about how the groom looks isn’t sexist?
If you don’t see how these are sexist your entire post is misandry and you’re a feminist who only cares about women which shows how your equality movement is actually just bull. :)
This is actually the funniest response I’ve ever got because it’s this close from saying “WHAT ABOUT TEH MENZ” so im actually going to respond
here are some radical concepts for you to consider
- the wedding day is the bride’s day because she’s socialised to believe that it’s the best day of her life
- this is because a women’s worth and self worth are inextricably linked to what she can offer to a man
- this worth can manifest itself in different ways (e.g. fuckability or “wife material”)
- notice how criticisms of women’s behavior is often in the context of whether she’ll be able to find a husband (“stay a virgin, nobody wants to marry used goods” “don’t get a tattoo! just think how that will look in your wedding dress”)
- whereas a man’s worth is linked to his achievements and skills or his ability to attain things (e.g. to be a provider, or to obtain a good wife)
- the wedding isn’t as important to the groom because what’s more important is attaining the bride.
- the reason everybody stands to watch the bride walk down the aisle is because they are actually watching the father “giving the bride away,” which is essentially the transaction of property from the father to the groom
- because remember, women aren’t people, they’re just people’s daughters or wives.
- also the reason the bride is complimented on her looks is because women are valued on their appearance whereas men are valued as people
- oh and don’t forget how if a woman becomes stressed at any point in the wedding planning, her feelings are invalidated by calling her a bridezilla
But no, you’re totally right. Grooms not being told that they look pretty on their wedding day is TOTALLY comparable to the emotional manipulation of women, the dehumanisation, objectification of women and the treatment of women as property. Totally comparable.
With Father’s day fast approaching, I would like to send a shout out to the people typically ignored on days like this:
- To the people with abusive fathers
- To the people absentee fathers
- To the people who don’t know their fathers
- To the people who cut their fathers out of their lives
- To the people with conflicting feelings about father’s day because their own father was a piece of shit but other men they know and love are awesome dads
- To the people who learned how not to be a shitty dad by not doing what their father did
You are not alone. If you don’t want to celebrate father’s day or you don’t want to talk to your father, that’s perfectly fine. Do whatever it takes to make sure you are healthy and happy.
If you feel like you need permission to indulge in vanity, this is it.
You are allowed to think you look beautiful, pretty, handsome, dashing, lovely, what have you.
You are allowed to take tons of selfies.
You are allowed to get lost in your own eyes in the mirror.
You are allowed to strut your stuff.
You are allowed to think you’re a pretty rad person.
You are allowed to love the fuck out of yourself.
If gay people don’t use the phrase “I cant think straight around you” as a pick up line. I feel like we have missed a genuinely great opportunity.